- The beef industry in Arkansas contributes significantly to the state’s economy and in 2012 was ranked the 5th largest agriculture commodity in the state.
- The value of receipts from the sale of cattle in 2012 was approximately $533 million.
- More than 27,000 Arkansas farms raise cattle.
- In 2013, the state’s cattle inventory totaled 1.6 million head--placing Arkansas 17th nationally in cattle production.
- Of the overall cattle inventory, Arkansas beef cow herd consists of 860,000 head – which puts the state among the Top 12 nationally in calf production.
97% of Arkansas cattle farms are family owned and operated with an average cow herd size of near 40 head .